Thursday, September 2, 2010

Time sure flies... our 3rd Volleyball Game already!

Today was our 3rd Volleyball Game already after school started. To be honest, I was actually a bit excited after hearing that our opponents today will be a "selected team" coming from Olongapo. I came to the gym quite early to see how they played. When I saw them practicing on the court, it was quite shocking because everyone in their team could hit hard. I could see that they had very good teamwork, so it's going to be a tough match for us.

Our coach told us that the main skill we need today is blocking. Since they have such strong hitters,  blocking will be a skill that we must use against them. I played as setter for the first two sets, and for both we were very close to taking the set from them. We were pretty nervous at first and made a few mistakes, but it is from mistakes we learn. Even though we didn't win any of the sets, we still worked well as a team.

I didn't really use the new skill I learned in practice in our game today because it is still unstable for me. I've got to master on how to set quicks, so it can add to our attacks. I think I did a satisfactory job on setting today because I'm gaining more control, however, my spike approaches today didn't work as well. I'll need to work on that next time during practice... hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. Good game tonight for the team, and definitely good exposure. I hope you can take time to watch the video of so you can study not just our team's movements but also how the other team played (particularly for you, how the other team's setter distributed the ball and how he used the entire length of the net throughout the game).

    Yes, we still have a lot of work to do to as far as blocking and floor defense is concerned, but believe me when I say that you guys are making very good progress.

    Too bad you didn't try to use the quick set tonight. I understand that you are still unsure if you'll be able to do it consistently, but nothing beats learning how to use it in a real game. You'll certainly make mistakes along the way, but wouldn't you want to make those mistakes during the practice games rather than during our ISAC games? If you are going to wait until you've "mastered" it before you try it out with your teammates, you might not get the chance to use it at all.

    What problem did you encounter with your approach? (Watch the video and you might get an idea.) What are you planning to do differently in the next few practices to address this problem?

    You still haven't posted your Activity Proposal for volleyball. Please do so ASAP so we can finalize it and get it approved. Instructions can be found on the blog post, "Online Activity Proposal Form" at http://brentsubiccas.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete