Thursday, September 9, 2010

Back up and Spike

Thursdays... normally we were supposed to have a volleyball competition at our gym, however, today we just had normal practice. That's most likely because we're gonna have a lot of games on the next day. We're trying to get prepared for the strong teams that are going to come tomorrow. They seem to be of the same level as the team we played last week... :( got to work hard to win.

Practice today was pretty much ok. We did the same drills and worked on blocking and spiking more. I was feeling a bit feverish and had a soar throat, so I don't think I was in my best condition. During practice though I did some pretty good spikes and sets and hopefully I can put that during competition also. I can finally push my sets a bit now and be more consistant, however, I still got to work on the height of my push.

Something new we actually tried today was the back quick at position 4 on the net. Our coach said this technique is good so we can trick the other team. It was pretty hard to get the feeling since back setting is one of the hardest skills as a setter. We can't see behind us, so it's all up to our feeling. I hope I can use this in the games we have tomorrow.

I'm feeling having a slight fever so this is it for today's practice. Got to work hard tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,

    Learning how to set for a back-quick will certainly add some needed dynamism and unpredictability to our offense. You don't need to see behind you to set the ball. Think back to our practice and try to remember the guidelines I gave you. How can we make this set consistent? What do you, as the setter, need to do? Where does the hitter need to go / hit? Understanding the answers to these two questions should enable you to make use of this exciting play.

    ReplyDelete